Wednesday, June 4, 2008

AND I'M OFF

After a million trips to Target and a week of packing, somehow I fit all of my luggage (well not all - I ended up having to leave some things behind) into my two suitcases which weighed in perfectly at 80 lbs (the Peace Corps limit). Then after hyperventilating over whether or not I would make my flight while sitting in traffic on the freeway this morning at 6:30 AM, by the grace of the HOV 2-passenger lane, I made it to the airport just in time to realize that my plane had been delayed anyways. But, all worked out OK. After a tearful goodbye to my parents, I happened to spot another potential Peace Corps volunteer (who I recognized by witnessing her own tearful goodbye to her parents and by the Chaco's sandals and massive backpack) who I ended up meeting and chatting with at the terminal. Sharing the Peace Corps experience (even at these early stages) truly proved itself to be reason enough for instant bonding!
I am now in Philadelphia, where I will be attending orientation for the next 3 days. On Friday I will leave for Togo! From now until then, I will be getting to know the 28-ish other volunteers (serving in either Health or Business programs) who will be going to Togo as well. Everyone seems a little nervous but overall very excited!

Below is a picture of my training class on our last day of training in the States. (click on it to enlarge)




4 comments:

Eric said...

Nice looking luggage set! i'm glad you got to Philly OK, have fun meeting other corpies!

Ang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Whoops. That was my deleted comment there. Trying to get used to this thing.

Have a safe flight, make friends, play nice, and don't taunt any lions.

-Ang (even though gmail is saying it's kathryn)

Susanne said...

Have a wonderful adventure! We can't wait to hear more.
Susanne, Jeff, Alex and Becca