Friday, August 22, 2008

I am an official Peace Corps Volunteer!

I can now officially call myself a volunteer! It's really exciting. The ceremony last night was really cool; I got goosebumps when we said our swearing-in oath. I also almost cried when I had to say goodbye to all the trainers and my host mom.

Now all the new volunteers are just celebrating and preparing to head off to post in a couple days. As an official volunteer, I now have access to the computers at the Peace Corps bureau in Lome, so I've been able to (finally) load some of my pictures from the past 2 months onto this blog, so make sure to scroll down and take a look!


All of the grads dressed up in African pagnes right before the ceremony began


The Country Director, Brownie Lee, giving a speech [the man on her left is the ambassador of the U.S. to Togo, who also later spoke]


me and Emily in our swear-in pagnes (my host mom had made my pagne as a surprise gift for me!) [the image quality is really bad because my camera can't take pictures at night]

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! (from; Boston, MA.). Cool pic's. If you need anything to make your stay more comfortable (care packages) pls. don't hesitate to ask: audelizh@comcast.net
-take care.. Audy.

wes said...

You'll be in my prayers, Kristina, as you head off to your post tomorrow--for safety, that your travel will go smoothly, that you'll be protected from illness and loneliness, and that once you're there you'll be able to network effectively with the local people to set the stage for your work there. You're in my thoughts every day.
Dad

Unknown said...

Hola!
.. a care package is on it's way!
Sent First-Class mail on 08/25/2008 @ 1:55pm EST.
be on the look-out for it!!
-A

BradB said...

Hi KJ,

I really enjoyed browsing the pics and posts. Eric sent me the link to your page--such a nice boy.

Do you need some more Ketchup? I noticed that your friend Emily was well taken care of, but I worry about your lycopene levels, as I didn't notice any Heinz in-hand.

I'm proud of you and will pray that your time will be one of great growth and enjoyment as you serve the people and land of Togo.

P Brad B

shirley said...

Loved your photos! Mark, Missy and I really enjoyed our time in Boston Aug. 11-16--Missy is interested in some colleges in that area. Isaac is living with us again as he discerns his next path (he's finished 2 years of college). Jake is teaching physics and living at Saint Andrews where Missy is a senior. Marcia is in San Diego starting her MA in peace and justice studies. We pray for you often!
Love,
Shirley Luttio

Lisa Lovely said...

Hey Kristina--it's Rachel from Shorey house...remember me? I just randomly ran across your blog and had no clue that you were a PCV (well, I think someone may have mentioned it, now that I consider the odds)! I wonder if you know that I was in the small business development program in Costa Rica and just got back less than a week ago from post. I finished my 27 months successfully and am jealous that you are just getting started--what an amazing experience! I wish you a healthy and happy service and hang in there!