Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas 2009

To celebrate Christmas this year, my friend Heather and I started our Christmas week out by going to visit Annie - a friend of ours who lives on the western side of Togo, just 10km from Ghana. Her region is lush with vegetation including lots of banana and cocoa trees, and there are a lot of hiking trails that lead to waterfalls! We all went on a little hike to see one of the biggest waterfalls there.

Afterwards, Heather and I met up with Emily and went to a nice little oasis on Lake Togo where we stayed in a cute little hotel for Christmas. We ate well and got to go swimming and even got to go out and do some activities on the lake. It was a nice relaxing Christmas.




Me at the beginning of the hike; the landscape reminded me so much of Jurassic Park!



Heather and I on a bridge on our hike



A neat tree



The beautiful waterfall!(that's me below)



Trying to cross the falls to get to the waterfall



Heather and me in our Santa hats at the bottom of the waterfall


We all ended up jumping in to the cold water... in our underwear :) We were all just girls and no one was around so we just did it


Annie figured out how to do a black-and-white mode on my camera; Heather, Annie, and me below



When we got back, we made snickerdoodle cookies in Annie's Dutch oven while listening to Christmas music!




Inside our hotel room



Our balcony



Catching up on American gossip magazines that are only 3 months old



Me and Heather relaxing in the hotel mini pool


On our way across the lake to Togoville in a canoe......with Santa hats




Heather and I watched a Charlie Brown Christmas on her computer on Christmas Eve


Me swimming in the pool


Heather



Emily, Heather and me in a paddle boat we rented .... for some exorbitant price for only 30 minutes of use ...
... But we enjoyed ourselves enormously

Emily went fishing with a bamboo stick and a piece of string that she bought off of a Togolese fisherman. We didn't catch any fish though. I tried and all I caught was Heather's hair.

Heather and Emily coming back from fishing on the shore. You can see a canoe in the background that the Togolese use to traverse the lake.

No comments: