Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey everybody - I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving! In the spirit of the season I just wanted to say I'm very thankful that I have all of you family and friends who I love and who care enough about me to follow my stories... All of your comments and emails and calls mean more to me than you can imagine.

This'll be a short blog; I just thought you'd be interested in what I did for Thanksgiving since people have already started asking. Every year the Togo Country Director has people over to her house in Lome for a big prepared/part-pot-luck feast. It was the most unique Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had! The following is what was on the food table:

Turkey
Goat
Couscous
Cucumber Salad
Sweet Potato Salad and various Potato Salads
Mushroom Gravy
Pita bread and Hummus
Rice and Beans in Coconut milk
Green Beans
Coleslaw
Corn Fritters
Assorted nuts
Chili

for dessert
Pumpkin pie
Banana cake
mini pecan pies
pound cake
other little sugary cookie things

There were a LOT of volunteers there so the food went fast (the dessert didn't last 5 minutes). For those of you who know me well, it may not be a surprise to you that I was among the people at the front of the line and had 3 servings of the main course, helped Emily finished her (first), and then was also there at the front of the line for the pumpkin pie - which is all I really wanted for Thanksgiving. From 3:30 in the afternoon on, I was in a food coma, and spent the rest of the afternoon talking on the phone with family at home. It was a great day!

Emily and I before dinner

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Grant's father suggested I also read your blog about adventures in Togo. Thanks for posting your stories. I have never been to Togo, but have been to other parts of Africa, but only as a tourist. Your experiences appear so much more real. Good luck and keep on posting.
Jim Knoll