Tuesday, November 25, 2008

PICTURES!

I finally got the chance to post pictures from the last 3 months! See "A true story" and "AIDS Ride" blog entries for more as well.

my compound

Andre, Michel, and Sylvere (sons of the family with in front of whom I share my compound) in front of my house

Andre in the boutique the family owns

Edwige and Mondano (mother and daughter in my compound) preparing roasted peanuts

Edwige and Solomn grinding pima (hot pepper) for the sauce for lunch

(sorry it's blurry) Edwige, Florence, Solomn, Sylvere and me in front of the cooking hut

me and Michel in front of the fence we made around the moringa tree we planted

Yvette (another daughter), Andre, and Sylvere dressed up in their pagnes for church

Me and the family under the compound gazeebo

my porch

the mill in front of my house under the Harmattan mist

Mr. Pelenguei (the Dad of my compound/my landlord) grinding corn flour at the mill

more huts in my village

another scene from my village


market day (the busiest day in town)

The CEG (middle school) at sunset

The CEG during the day; I spend a lot of time here

the local elementary school

the road on the way to the dispensaire

the village dispensaire (health center)

my homologue, Emma (a midwife) giving a malaria shot

The nurse (Mr. Beleyi) and the pharmacy manager (Mr. Kezie) doing paperwork. They are some of the nicest people I've ever known.



The wound treating room, the prenatal consultation room, and the delivery room where women give birth at the dispensaire



Mark (a college student who helped me translate during my first sensibilizations). This picture was taken one evening when we were seeking out the CEG director in his fields -There was such a beautiful sunset!

bagging enriched porridge flour on my porch


One of my favorite village women making corn porridge, and then me taking a turn at it

I love this picture: This is Danielle, one of my best PCV friends. She lives in a village just 15K north of me. This is her new puppy Tache, which means "Spot" in French.

Doing laundry



Visiting Emily; cooking dinner by candlelight (not like we have a choice - she doesn't have electricity either), taking a nap on her cement floor one afternoon (it's way cooler on the floor in the hot afternoons), and Emily drinking Tchouk - a popular local beverage that one of her neighbor girls brought by for her - after having spilled half of it on herself

Talking on the phone in a local church building, one of the few places in my village where I can get reception and where I usually have privacy - although this photo was taken by a child observor who was lucky enough to be trusted by me to take a few pictures when he saw my camera and asked if he could...

3 comments:

acubeforever said...

what is your trip about cos i would like to join .

wes said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Kristina. The pictures are great. I didn't realize the mill was such a small machine--I imagined something the size of a building. Anyway, I'm glad you're able to be in Lome today and enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner with your volunteer colleagues and country director. Love you and miss you.
Dad

nouelle said...

Hey Kristina - Enjoyed your pictures! (Especially the sunset.) Great to have some visuals for your stories. And happy to hear you're glad to be there.
XOXO,
Nouelle